5 Tips For Surviving The Holidays
Happy Holidays! Well…happy-ish is a more correct description for some people. For some, the holidays mean joy. Others, it’s stressful. Here are some quick tips so we can get through this season with our sanity.
1. Remember the REAL reason: Simple enough, right? We’d like to say so, but even for creatives, we sometimes get caught up in new light arrangements or our church’s Christmas program. So take time to read the true Christmas story- the birth of Christ- or take time out of your day to meditate on the fact that Jesus was born for US to die…for US.
2. Find new music: Before you murder me for trying to get you to delete Bing Crosby (or maybe throw out your records?), I’m not. I’m merely saying there are plenty of updated versions of songs that, while not exactly Nat King Cole, are still pretty good. So maybe browse the iTunes store or listen to the Pandora Christmas station. You may fall in love. (See below for some suggestions)
3. Quiet time: This is the season of spending time with family that you may or may not normally see. And although we are excited, take it in moderation. Don’t be afraid to spend some time alone, in God’s word, or just doodling. We may explode if we don’t spend some time to relax every now and then. With all the excitement, some of us could probably use some boredom.
4. Try something new: Whether it be trying a new recipe for fudge (yum!) or trying to sew a Christmas sweater, you’ll be creating new memories that will make the holiday season worth it in the end. This is also a good way to relax 😉
5. Movie time!: Following the vision of Joshua Porter of Showbread, I’ve tried to watch a Christmas movie every day. Now, I haven’t succeeded in watching one every day, but the ones I have watched have been enjoyable. So try a “One-Christmas-A-Day” event and rate the movies. It’s very fun, especially when you watch movies that aren’t necessarily “good”. So grab some friends or family and watch a cheesy Christmas movie. 😉
- Hawk Nelson- Christmas
- Relient K- Let It Snow Baby… Let It Reindeer
- Hillsong- Born Is The King
- David Crowder* Band- Of for Joy
- Coldplay- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- Jack Johnson- Rudolph
- She & Him- The Christmas Song, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
- Zee Avi- Frosty The Snowman
- FM Static- Snow Miser
- Thousand Foot Krutch- Heat Miser
- House of Heroes- O Come, O Come Emmanuel